Multi-million pound expansion
As Natural England Delivery Manager Pete Johnstone took the lead role in negotiating the multi-million pound expansion of Walking for Health with the Department of Health in 2009.
The following two years saw:
- a doubling of walk numbers
- partnership working with Tesco and Millets
- a pilot incentive scheme with M&S and Sport England
- a new training programme
- a joint project with the Woodland Trust and Walking for Health
- a greater emphasis on engaging volunteer walk leaders and walkers with the natural environment.
Many thousands of people have benefited from Walking for Health and the encouragement it continues to give people to be active in the outdoors close to home.